Me 'n Missy's gettin along reely good.
Thursday Thirteen - Cat Facts
- The nose pad of a cat is ridged in a unique pattern just like a human fingerprint.
- A cat's heart beats twice as fast as a human heart (110-140 beats per minute) and the normal temperature of a cat is 101.5 degrees.
- Cats cannot see directly under their noses, which explains why they cannot find tidbits on the floor.
- Cats lack a true collarbone; because of this lack, they can squeeze their bodies through any space they can get their heads through.
- Cats lose almost as much fluid in saliva while grooming themselves as they do through urination.
- Cats can hear ultrasound.
- Cats step with both left legs, then both right legs when they walk or run; the giraffe and camel are the only other animals that move this way.
- Both humans and cats have identical regions in the brain responsible for emotion.
- Cats can't taste sweets.
- A cat's front paw has 5 toes and the back paws have 4. Polydactl cats are born with as many as 7 front toes and extra back toes .
- A cat has more bones (230) than a human (206); cats have 30 vertebrae, humans have 25; a cat has 500 skeletal muscles, humans have 650.
- Cats hearing stops at 65 khz while human hearing stops at 20 khz.
- Cats have a total of 24 whiskers, 4 rows of whiskers on each side. The upper two rows can move independently of the bottom two rows.